Welcome to the National Institute for Direct Instruction
The National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI) is the world's foremost Direct Instruction (DI) support provider. This website provides information and resources for administrators, teachers, and parents to help them maximize student achievement through DI. The website also contains information on DI's extensive and broad research base, including a searchable database of more than one hundred article summaries.
Direct Instruction (DI) programs are based on over 40 years of research on how children learn and the most effective ways to teach. Studies involving DI curricula and its implementation have been conducted with a wide variety of populations, in different settings and within all subject areas related to the programs. As such, the volume of research on DI is expansive. The National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI) makes this extensive research base more accessible to educators and researchers through a free online searchable database of over 200 entries.
- NEW! NIFDI Announces Upcoming Direct Instruction Training Events
- NEW! The Tradition Continues: NIFDI to Host the 40th Annual National DI Conference
- NEW! Inaugural Direct Instruction Coaching I Academy a Success!
- NEW! Calculate DI Material Costs in a Flash with Excel Cost Worksheet and Save on Teacher Kits
- NEW! Cape York Aboriginal Australian Academy Seeks Director of Instruction
- NEW! Funnix Giving Away FREE copies of Beginning Reading and Math Programs!
- NEW! Reading Mastery Signature Edition and Funnix Named “Reader’s Choice Top 100 Product” by District Administration Magazine
- NEW! Direct Instruction's Creator and Senior Author - Siegfried "Zig" Engelmann - is on Wikipedia!
Bring DI to your inbox!
Do you want to learn more about Direct Instruction? Would you like to receive current news, messages and announcements regarding DI? Sign up for our FREE service and bring the world of DI to your inbox!
Click here to sign up! Or text NIFDI to 22828 to get started!
Visit our Video Library today to view full-length coaching and training videos for FREE! While you're there, check out our latest success stories from schools and from the founder of DI, Siegfried "Zig" Engelmann.
How to Ensure Success
Do you know how to ensure that your school's DI implementation is successful?
The services and implementation materials provided by the National Institute for Direct Instruction (NIFDI) provide schools and districts with a strong basis for implementing the comprehensive Direct Instruction (DI) model successfully with all children. However, a successful implementation requires much more than the services NIFDI provides. What a school does with the services makes the biggest difference.
Find Research on DI
- More than 200 studies featured
- Search by year, author, subject area or type of study
- Access convenient content summaries
- Request full-text articles from NIFDI's Research Department
Train with NIFDI!
The National Institute for Direct Instruction is proud to announce our national training institute and other open-registration events featuring high-quality NIFDI trainers and session leaders. These open-registration training events will provide participants with the same high-quality training that schools partnering with NIFDI have received for years! Visit http://www.nifdi.org/training-institutes for more information or click on the link above to view our events calendar!